- Posted by Alaia Williams
- On June 24, 2013
- Facebook, Hashtag, hashtags, marketing, Social Media
I’m very open about the fact that Twitter is my favorite social network. I don’t hate the other networks – I use and like all the major sites. Facebook is the only network thus far that manages to annoy me on a semi-regular basis.
Rants aren’t usually my thing, but the other day, I was hit with all my top Facebook annoyances the moment I logged onto the site. I shared them with my friends and now, dear reader, I am sharing them with you – in case we ever become friends on Facebook:
4 Facebook Habits That Drive Me Crazy:
- Game requests for the craziest stuff. I only play Words With Friends. All other requests are ignored. I’m pretty sure I’ve blocked Candy Crush requests. Sorry, you will find no extra lives here.
- Including me on a group message with a billion people I don’t know. Even worse is when you’re sending a message that most of us are really not going to be interested in.
- Adding me to groups when you have no idea if I’m even interested in the content. Invite me or tell me about it, sure. Automatically add me to your group of pug lovers? Sorry, no. I do not and never will have a pet. Go away (this is a made up example, but first that came to mind since I am doggie free).
- Getting friend requests from people who don’t know me. I’ll admit that not everyone I’m friends with on Facebook is actually a friend. For the most part, each person is someone I’ve met, we have mutual friends, or we’re connected on another social network. When I get a friend request from someone and there’s no introduction message in my inbox and we have no mutual friends, it’s likely your request will end up with the list of others that are being ignored.
Bonus: Hashtags. I think I’m the only one that was annoyed when Facebook pulled in hashtags. Most people seem to like them and I understand why Facebook has added this feature. What I love about each social network are the unique features they have. With the addition of hashtags on Facebook (and video on Instagram), each site feels a little less unique. I know I’ll get over it. Just allow me another week to huff and puff.
My tips for keeping your Facebook friends and followers happy?
- Don’t send game or application requests to every friend you have – especially if you don’t know them well.
- When sending group messages, make sure the people you’re including are interested or have a stake in what you’re talking about
- Message someone to tell them about a group – don’t add them if you aren’t certain they’ll want to take part
- Friend your friends – or shoot a stranger a private message or email introducing yourself and telling them why you want to connect.
What about you? Are there any Facebook behaviors that annoy you? Comment below and tell me!