- Posted by Alaia Williams
- On December 16, 2013
December is here and many people are feeling the crush of the holiday season. With so many parties, potlucks, and presents to give, it can be challenging to keep everything in line. Here are some organizing tips to help you enjoy all the moments of the holidays with less stress.
Prepare for house guests. While awkward conversation might be hard to avoid when your family is in town, some simple strategies can help you manage the logistics of their stay.
- Hit the laundry room and have clean sheets and towels for all guest rooms, and go ahead and make all beds and put extra towels in bathrooms.
- Consider buying extra linens (for bedrooms, bathrooms, and kitchens) to make sure you have plenty on hand for quick changes between guests, to cover accidents, or to swap out for things that get things dirty quicker than anticipated.
- Plan sleeping arrangements, parking spots, and other details based on your knowledge of your guests.
Plan your menus. Whether hosting a holiday feast or just feeding a few hungry relatives, food can be a major cause of anxiety this time of year! But with some prep work, you can enjoy delicious holiday menus without the stress.
- Ask guests about any dietary restrictions before planning your menu.
- Be willing to delegate everything from paper napkins to cocktails and desserts. Even if you like to be in control, you can loosen up a little bit to let others contribute to the festivities.
- Work ahead and freeze casseroles, soups, and other items to save time during the busy rushes.
- Keep home decorations simple. Some white lights and greenery are all you really need to set the holiday mood!
- Try to do your shopping and wrapping early and avoid the last-minute frenzy.
- Write everything down in a journal or day-planner, including names, phone numbers, shopping lists, etc.
- Keep a folder for big events where you can store recipes, flyers, and other important papers and details.
And when all else fails, put your favorite Christmas music and take a minute to dance! Though there is stress in the holidays, there is so much to be enjoyed and thankful for.
P.S. Here’s my favorite Christmas song – what’s yours?