- Posted by Alaia Williams
- On December 29, 2013
- gratitude, Mental Health, New Year
The end of a year always provides the opportunity to look back and be grateful, while also looking forward in anticipation. An attitude of gratitude puts you in the right frame of mind to think about your business and what you want to accomplish in the coming year. And as you are with loved ones at the holidays, you can add to the special memories by taking time to share moments of gratitude and anticipation.
Here are some ways you can practice gratitude:
1) Keep a daily calendar of gratitude. One example is to take an index card for each day of the year, and simply write a gratitude statement on it every day. You could do the same thing in a small notebook or on a wall calendar.
2) Write a letter of gratitude. Sit down and pen a letter (or type an email) to someone who impacted you in the last 12 months. And if you can, tell that person “thanks” in person, too!
3) Share gratitude, not complaints. When gathered with family and friends, it can be easy to spiral into negative conversations. Instead, encourage everyone to share things the enjoy or are grateful for that day.
Here are some ways you can actively anticipate the coming year:
1) Reflect on your accomplishments. Remembering the past year’s successes is a great kick start to any goal-setting for the new year. This can also help you build on your efforts and plan for the year ahead.
2) Consider the impact you want to have. Focus on a few goals for the year that will maximize your impact — in your family, in your community, in your business, or in your personal life.
3) Make a “Stop Doing” list. Being busy is a common affliction these days, but all that busyness does not necessarily mean you are more effective or able to enjoy your life. Think about the things you could ‘stop doing’ to help meet your goals in the new year, or to simply create space for a more enjoyable life.
I hope you are able to take time during this holiday season to look back with gratitude and also look forward with anticipation, sharing these moments with loved ones!